We are always looking for exceptional work, and we accept general manuscripts through our electronic submissions portal.
We highly suggest that you take a look at our open calls for submissions and contests first. Next, take the time to familiarize yourself with our press and body of work. Check out our missions statement and see if you feel like Negative Capability is the right fit for you.
Please submit a completed manuscript (.doc or .docx format), along with a brief cover letter that details the work, a bio, and any publishing credentials you want us to be aware of.
Why do we charge a reading fee?
The $25.00 reading fee helps offset the ever-growing administrative costs for our independent press.
Negative Capability features writers on our website. Please submit 3 to 5 poems or up to 10 pages of a short story or longer piece. If accepted, your work will appear on our website for several weeks along with your bio. You must hold the copyright to any writing you submit. Please include a short bio, link to your website or social media pages, and a photo.
Negative Capability Press has published work by Mary Oliver, May Sarton, Karl Shapiro, John Updike, MFK Fisher, and many others. We nominate our books for awards, and we have won independent press awards.
The top three winning submissions will have their work featured on our website & receive cash prizes:
- 1st - $100, 2nd - $50, 3rd- $25. Five honorable mentions will also be featured on the website.
- Submit each poem separately. Previously published work will not be accepted.
- 40 line limit, any style or form
- Include a short third-person bio in the cover letter portion.
- Submission fee $5 per poem. No limit on number of entries.
- Simultaneous submissions accepted. Please inform us if your work is published elsewhere.